The Montgomery, Montgomery County and Washington Area Spark were left-wing tabloids that were published monthly from 1971-73. A successor publication called On The Move published five issues from early 1974 to early 1975.
The name was revived in 2011 when photos from the archives of the newspaper were published on Flickr along with set descriptions that gave context to the events depicted in the images.
Other images of anti-intervention, labor, civil rights, civil liberties and other struggles from the pre-internet era in the greater Washington, DC area have been added to the Flickr site.
This blog site under the same name now occasionally examines historical struggles by working families in the greater Washington, DC area to understand and identify lessons learned that might be applied today. Some articles that appeared in the original newspaper have been republished with additional images.
Broad Contribution Guidelines
Please feel free to submit your contributions, but keep them within the following broad guidelines:
- Base your article on events occurring in the greater Washington, DC area before 1990.
- Identify images for which you have or can obtain rights to publish.
- Keep in mind the viewpoints expressed on this site are left of center.
- Articles should be fact based. Use reasonable sources or cite the more marginal ones in your article.
- Let the facts do most of your arguments.
- Articles can be long or short (an interesting photograph from the period with a description of its significance).
If you want to discuss a potential submission, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions are not guaranteed to be posted and may be edited.